Tuesday, July 8, 2014

First Post... :)

First time, blogger? Yup, that's me. I guess you could call it hopping on the band wagon...? I would like to consider it admiration.
I like to read the posts of friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and yes- even some random people.
I have noticed one thing they all seem to have in common: the love they each have for their own life and the beauty that they see in it. And that is the reason I am doing this. I admire the talent that others have in using words on a page to express their emotions, teach a lesson, and even be an inspiration to so many people. 
That is my goal with this endeavor. I want to record the experiences and thoughts in my life that have made on impact on me and will hopefully impact others as well, even if it is simply making them smile.. ;)

And if not... well it is still fun to write. ;)

So, to start this out, there is something I have learned that can make the biggest impact of all: smiling. 
As a sophomore preparing for my first year of high school, I remember my older brother sharing a poem with me. This poem changed me. Pause for dramatic effect?No. But really- It changed my attitude. It changed how I felt about myself, but also how I felt about others. I realized how something so simple can make such a big difference. I decided to test it out and it reigned truer than any science experiment I have ever conducted. Even though that number was pretty limited... It continued to remain my personal 'theme' throughout high school. I have to admit though, I wasn't always the best example of it. and has lately been running through my mind. I guess I need to smile more, huh?


"Smiling is infectious
You can catch it like the flu
When someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too
I walked around a corner
And someone saw my grin
Then he smiled and I realized
I had passed it on to him
So if you feel a smile begin,
Don't leave it undetected
Let's start an epidemic quick
And get the world infected."

This was a cause and effect experiment for me. 
Cause: make others happy.
Effect: Smiling will make you happy. It can and will change your attitude. If you let it. Even if you say you aren't happy, once you smile, you are wrong. It will makes others happy. Even if it is just for a minute. Eventually, those minutes can add up.. It can make a dark day a little bit brighter. It can be the reason someone gets themselves out of bed in the morning. It can be the motivation and encouragement someone needs to simply believe in themselves. It really is infectious! Watch it happen. It is amazing. Sounds cheesy but it it true.

I could go on and on.... 

I wanted to title this blog after this poem because so far in my life it has helped me through some hard times, and well, has made me smile. :) 

At this point, or new chapter, in my life I don't know what to expect. I feel like everything is up in the air, and it scares me at times that not everything is simply laid out for me anymore. If you know me you know how hard this is for me. I have to trust that what I want- or think I want- may not be what Heavenly Father wants... easier said than done....and remember that no matter what things will work out. And that can be hard. I have learned though that taking each day, literally, one day at a time and deciding each morning to be happy and have a good day can do wonders. I have learned that our *** attitude impacts our actions but often times our actions impact our attitudes *** more than anything else ever could. These actions may most importantly be of simple service - as simple as smiling - but will change our attitude and outlook for a long time. 

At the end of each email I write to my brother, yes, the same brother that showed me this poem, I write: Keep Smiling:) even if I am not even smiling at the time. Often times I think I write this more for me than for him...

So, I share these with you and title the blog after this poem to help others to smile and be happy, but also to help myself remember the amazing effects one simple action can do, and also to have hope in my seemingly unknown future.

Let us enjoy the adventures of life with a smile on our face
Although each day may be unexpected, I pray that we can embrace.
This is one of those "I am writing this for you but also for me" lines.....

SO if you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick and get the world infected.

Yes, I am a rookie at this and I hope to improve. Thanks for reading! And don't forget.....
KEEP SMILING :)






*** When I wrote this it reminded me of a quote I have hiding somewhere in my room, hence the reason I didn't put it up. Anyways, it goes something like this:
Attitude dictates our actions
Actions dictate our choices
And Choices dictate our Destiny....
Wow- put it that way and a smile could literally change a life... :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment